Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Scared to overwrite the App folder

66replica

Total Posts:  9

Hello all,

I’m installing an extension to enable Store Pickup as a shipping option. I’m instructed to extract the App folder and upload it via FTP into my Magento directory. My Magento directory already has an app folder. Will uploading this overwrite the other files in the app folder? Just don’t want to screw up my site.

Also, any tips for backing up my site?

Best,
Skyler

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

If this extension does not require any SQL rework then I would just backup that app folder first before you overwright it. The easiest way would be to use FTP, select that app folder and download it to your computer. If your hosting provider provides cPanel you can back it up using their internal software also. Good Luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

66replica

Total Posts:  9

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the App folder as a backup and I’ll try uploading the new one.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kolja2009

Total Posts:  23

don’t worry about overwriting the app-folder (but back it up just in case wink ). underneath the app folder you’ll find a lot of different separate modules in a well structured directory-hierachie. each new module takes a new special place in the following scheme: app/code/local/ COMPANYNAME / MODULENAME - so there is a clean way how everything is separated. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community