In commerce, change is the norm! That means that retailers are always looking for ways to improve and optimize their sites to keep up with new trends and developments. Most have a running wish list of site additions and improvements. Surprisingly, many are not tapping some of the powerful features, which come with Magento Enterprise Edition, right out of the box.
We’ve compiled a list of some of these underused Magento Enterprise Edition features that will provide you immediate benefits and increase your online sales.
Rule-Based Product RelationsClick images to enlarge.
“Do you want fries with that?” “Would you like to supersize that?” How many times have we all heard those questions? They are most likely the world’s most used and most recognized cross-sell and up-sell messages of all time.
In eCommerce, cross–selling and upselling are two simple product recommendation methods that will increase your onsite conversions.
To create a more relevant shopping experience, Magento Enterprise Edition comes equipped with “Rule-Based Product Relations” that enable these marketing tactics and target customer segments with specific product recommendations.
What’s great about this feature is that Magento designed it with your busy schedule in mind. Once you write the rule for this feature, you can forget about it. Magento will automatically assign the associated cross-sell, upsell and related products to each item in your catalogue.
To utilize this feature, navigate to “Catalog > Rule-Based Product Relations”
Rules are simply defined as:
- When these types of products are displayed (Products to match)
- Display these products as related items (Products to display)
You could create advanced rules such as:
- Display other products endorsed by the same celebrity, where celebrity endorser is a custom attribute of yours into which you populate relevant data (i.e. “Will Smith”)
- Display products of the same gender but which cost more than the currently viewed product (See the “Product price” condition, and screenshots below)
Upsell products will be displayed on the product detail page along with related products; cross-sell items will appear in the shopping cart.
Search Term Management
You spend countless hours in discovery to learn what your customers desire, how they shop online and what terminology they use to describe your products. Your entire user experience and visual design are a result of these findings.
Once launched, how do you continue your discovery to make your site, your customer’s “go-to” shopping site? One simple way is through on-site search.
Magento Enterprise Edition comes equipped with “Search Term Management” to make your products easier to find. With this feature, you can:
- add and edit search terms
- review all the key words and phrases your customers are searching for on your site
- review which terms are the most popular and least used to update your product detail page (PDP) key words accordingly
- review and assign recommended terms to your PDP
- expand your ability to capture a broader range of search terms by entering either synonyms (sofa, couch, loveseat) or common misspellings (rod iron, rot iron) for each product; by doing so, you will capture all your customer’s requests and redirect them to the correct search results
To utilize this feature, navigate to “Catalog > Search Terms”
Sales forecasting is an ongoing process in an effort to avoid out-of-stock or overstock inventory scenarios. Occasionally, no matter how accurate your reporting or planning, unexpectedly high or low sales may sometimes result.
Magento’s “Product Alerts” feature will help you manage these instances and help increase conversions.
With Product Alerts, your customers can request that they be alerted via email when a product comes back in stock or when a product goes on sale.
To enable this feature, go to the Product Alerts section and set to “yes” next to:
- Allow Alert When Product Price Changes – this permission will allow customers to sign up for price change alerts
- Allow Alert When Product Comes Back in Stock – this setting will enable customers to sign up for email alerts notifying them when the product is back in stock
When either is enabled, subscription links will appear on the specified PDP.
No matter how intuitive your site is, sometimes your customers will require assistance with product, shipping or payment details.
The Magento Enterprise Edition “Assisted Shopping” feature empowers you to provide a better shopping experience and easily respond to your customers’ requests.
With this feature, your customer service representatives can:
- review a customer’s shopping cart
- move items from a customer’s wish list and recently viewed products, into their shopping cart
- apply a coupon code to a customer’s cart
To utilize this feature, your representatives simply:
- request the customer to log into their account, if he hasn’t already
- navigate to “Customers > Online Customers” within the administration screen
- select the customer from the list to open the customer account view
- click the “Manage Shopping Cart” button to begin assisting the customer
The Magento Enterprise Edition platform helps you drive more traffic to your site and convert browsers into buyers. By utilizing these out-of-the-box features, as well as the complete feature set provided, you will be able to grow your business, encourage customer loyalty, and manage your inventory more efficiently.
WINNER, 2011 & 2012 MAGENTO PARTNER EXCELLENCE AWARD and founded in 1993, Guidance designs, builds and hosts highly customized eCommerce solutions for today’s leading retailers. For additional information, visit their page on the Magento Partner portal.